Cider-Braised Brats with Apple-Onion-Dried Cherry Relish
For bratwursts at their best, create your own homemade relish. Goldies is the not-so-secret ingredient that makes it special.
- 8 pork bratwursts (about 2 pounds)
- 1 bottle (12 oz) hard cider (or apple juice for a nonalcoholic option)
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 sweet-tart apples (such as Granny Smith or Braeburn; or a combination), cored and diced
- 1 Goldies&trade yellow onion, diced
- 1 bag (5 oz) dried cherries
- 1 tsp whole caraway seed
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp cornstarch mixed with 2 Tbsp cold water
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh mint or parsley
- 8 pretzel sausage buns, split
- Honey mustard
1. In 8-quart slow cooker, arrange bratwurst in single layer on bottom. Pour cider and broth over brats, cover and braise on LOW 5 to 6 hours or on HIGH 3 to 4 hours or until they reach an internal temperature of 165°F. (Brats may be braised up to one day ahead. Store in braising liquid in refrigerator. Warm brats on grill or in braising liquid before serving.)
2. For relish, in large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add apple, onion, cherries and caraway seed. Sauté just until onions are soft, about 5 minutes, stirring often. Add vinegar and sugar; simmer 3 minutes. Whisk in some cornstarch mixture to thicken slightly (you may not use it all). Season with salt and pepper.
3. Remove from heat and stir in mint. (Relish may be made up to one day ahead and chilled. Bring to room temperature before serving.)
4. To serve, place brats in pretzel buns and top with honey mustard and apple relish.
To give brats more color after braising, grill or brown in oil in skillet before serving.
More Tempting Onion Recipes
Deviled Bacon-Onion Dip
Forget about bacon and eggs. Bacon and Goldies make an even better pairing in this creamy, savory dip.
Savory French Onion Soup
This classic onion entrée never tasted so good. That’s because it starts with perfectly caramelized Goldies onions.
Goldies are a breakthrough — a premium yellow onion unlike any other. They're full of everything you love about onions, minus everything you don't!
- All the fresh, crisp taste
- All the mildly sweet flavor
- All kinds of ways to enjoy — raw or cooked
- All the nutrition — packed with antioxidants and vitamins
- No tears when cutting and chopping
- No onion breath
- No bite or burn like other onions
- No smelly fingers
I was very skeptical. I was so surprised…I even ate some raw onion.
Customer names have been modified to protect privacy.