Upside-Down Onion, Apple & Cheddar Skillet Cornbread with Spiced Blueberry Butter
Just add sweet apples and mildly sweet Goldies to the mix to make your cornbread the best thing since sliced bread.
8 to 12
- 2 medium Goldies™ yellow onions, peeled halved and cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 large apple (we used Honeycrisp), unpeeled, quartered, cored and cut into 1/2-inch thick pieces
- 1 large egg
- 1-1/3 cups milk or buttermilk
- 1/2 cup oil
- 11/2 cup honey
- 2 cups self-rising buttermilk cornmeal mix
- 8 oz sharp cheddar cheese, cut into small cubes
For spiced blueberry butter
- 1 small container (7.5 oz) blueberry cream cheese, softened
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 2 tsp apple pie spice
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. In large 12-inch oven-safe skillet,* heat 2 tablespoons of oil and butter over medium-high heat. Sauté onions 4 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently until tender.
3. Add apples and cook another 2 to 3 minutes until slightly tender.
4. Whisk together egg, milk, 1/2 cup oil and honey. Fold in cornmeal mix; stir to combine. Pour over onion and apple mixture (but do not stir).
5. Scatter cubed cheese over batter and gently push into batter using back of spoon.
6. Bake about 25 minutes until golden brown and cornbread is separating from edge of skillet. Let sit about 5 minutes.
7. Turn onto serving platter and serve immediately.
To make butter:
Place cream cheese and butter on flat plate. Scatter with apple pie spice. Mash together with fork until well combined. Serve at room temperature alongside the cornbread!
*Cast-iron skillet is preferred to maintain a nice hot pan for browning the cornbread.
Best if enjoyed while hot and cheese is soft and melted. Can be wrapped in foil and reheated to enjoy later.
Bistro Burgers with Garlic Aioli, Oven-Caramelized Onions & Blue Cheese
How can you make bistro burgers even better? With Goldies — the perfect onions for caramelizing.
Classic Pico de Gallo
When recipes call for raw onions, remember to use the fresh, crisp taste of Goldies and forget about onion breath.
Goldies are a breakthrough — a premium yellow onion unlike any other. They're full of everything you love about onions, minus everything you don't!
- All the fresh, crisp taste
- All the mildly sweet flavor
- All kinds of ways to enjoy — raw or cooked
- All the nutrition — packed with antioxidants and vitamins
- No tears when cutting and chopping
- No onion breath
- No bite or burn like other onions
- No smelly fingers
I love this onion! I can’t wait for it to get to market!
Customer names have been modified to protect privacy.