Open-Face Grilled Beef Gyros with Charred Onions & Cucumber Yogurt Sauce
Do you like your onions raw or cooked in gyros? With Goldies, you can have either. This time, we went with them grilled.
For yogurt sauce
- 2 cups grated cucumber
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp fresh dill weed, chopped (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless beef flank steak
- Olive oil
- 1 tsp dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper
- 2 Goldies™ yellow onions, sliced into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
- 4 pita bread rounds
- 2 Roma tomatoes, thinly sliced
1. For yogurt sauce, in colander set over bowl, toss cucumber with salt; let stand 15 minutes.
2. Squeeze cucumber mixture dry with paper towels. Transfer cucumber to bowl and stir in yogurt, dill, garlic and lemon juice. Set cucumber sauce aside until ready to assemble sandwiches.
3. Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Drizzle steak with olive oil and season both sides with oregano, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Drizzle oil on both sides of onion rounds. Lightly coat both sides of each pita bread round with oil.
4. Grill steak 5 minutes on each side for medium-rare; remove from grill and let rest at least 5 minutes before slicing into thin strips. Grill onions on both sides just until lightly charred and beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Grill pita rounds on both sides until lightly toasted.
5. To assemble gyros, spread cucumber sauce on each pita and top with sliced steak. If desired, top with tomatoes and additional cucumber sauce. Serve immediately.
More Tempting Onion Recipes
Philly Cheesesteak Sliders with Melted Peppers & Onions
Sautéed onions are the unsung hero of Philly cheesesteaks. Use Goldies and they’ll finally get the credit they deserve.
Deviled Bacon-Onion Dip
Forget about bacon and eggs. Bacon and Goldies make an even better pairing in this creamy, savory dip.
Goldies are a breakthrough — a premium yellow onion unlike any other. They're full of everything you love about onions, minus everything you don't!
- All the fresh, crisp taste
- All the mildly sweet flavor
- All kinds of ways to enjoy — raw or cooked
- All the nutrition — packed with antioxidants and vitamins
- No tears when cutting and chopping
- No onion breath
- No bite or burn like other onions
- No smelly fingers
I was very skeptical. I was so surprised…I even ate some raw onion.
Customer names have been modified to protect privacy.