French Onion Soup
Warm up with the best version of this classic you’ve ever tasted. That’s because it’s loaded with perfectly caramelized Goldies onions.
- 2 Tbsp Hy-Vee® Selects™ olive oil
- 1 Tbsp Hy-Vee butter
- 2 pounds Goldies™ onions, thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 cartons Hy-Vee beef broth (48 oz total; about 6 cups)
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar or sherry vinegar (optional)
- Salt, to taste (optional)
- 1 Hy-Vee bakery baguette, sliced into 3/4-inch-thick rounds and toasted until dry
- 2 blocks (6 oz each) Culinary Tours™ Gruyere cheese, shredded (about 3 cups)
- Parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 425˚F. Line baking sheet with foil.
2. In large Dutch oven, heat olive oil and butter together over medium-low heat. When butter is melted, add onions and cook until caramelized, 30 to 40 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent scorching.
3. Add broth, sherry and bay leaves. Simmer to blend flavors, about 20 minutes.
4. If desired, season soup with vinegar and salt; remove bay leaves. Divide soup among 6 ovenproof crocks or bowls, top with 3 or 4 toasted baguette rounds and about 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere. If desired, sprinkle with Parmesan. Place soup crocks on the prepared baking sheet.
5. Bake soup until cheese is melted and beginning to brown, 10 to 15 minutes.
6. Carefully remove baking sheet from oven and serve soup immediately.
The soup gets more flavorful as it sits, so feel free to make it a day or two before serving and keep refrigerated. Reheat it thoroughly on the stove before dividing it among the crocks and topping with the baguette rounds and cheese. Refrigerate leftovers.
Rotisserie BBQ Chicken Skillet Pot Pie
What’s the key to a chicken dinner that’s a winner? Goldies, of course! This recipe is sure to make everyone happy, including yourself, since you can dice Goldies without tears
French Onion Soup
This classic onion entrée never tasted so good. That’s because it starts with perfectly caramelized Goldies onions.
Goldies are a breakthrough — a premium yellow onion unlike any other. They're full of everything you love about onions, minus everything you don't!
- All the fresh, crisp taste
- All the mildly sweet flavor
- All kinds of ways to enjoy — raw or cooked
- All the nutrition — packed with antioxidants and vitamins
- No tears when cutting and chopping
- No onion breath
- No bite or burn like other onions
- No smelly fingers
I love, love, love that there were no tears cutting it
Customer names have been modified to protect privacy.