French Onion Pasta Bake with Gremolata Bread Crumbs
This elegant dish will wow your guests because it's full of flavor. It also happens to be loaded with Goldies. Coincidence?
- 6 Tbsp butter, divided
- 4 Goldies™ yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 cup dry sherry or white wine
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar or brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 cups low-sodium beef broth
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 6 cups (about 12 oz) cooked penne pasta
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat 3-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In large sauté pan, melt 4 tablespoons butter over medium-low heat. Add onions and thyme. Cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until onions are golden brown and very soft, 30 to 40 minutes. (If onions seem dry or start to burn during cooking, add 1/4 cup water; repeat as needed.)
3. Deglaze onions with sherry and vinegar, scraping any browned bits from bottom of pan. When sherry is nearly evaporated, sprinkle onions with flour and stir to coat. Gradually add broth, stirring to prevent lumps, and bring to simmer. Cook until slightly thickened; remove from heat. Add cooked pasta; stir to coat.
4. Transfer pasta mixture to prepared baking dish. Sprinkle Gruyere and Parmesan over top, cover with foil and bake until cheese is melted and bubbly, about 20 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter and toss with panko bread crumbs, lemon zest, garlic, parsley, salt and pepper. After 20 minutes, remove foil, sprinkle crumb mixture over pasta and return pan to oven. Continue cooking until crumbs are golden, about 10 minutes.
More Tempting Onion Recipes
Classic Pico de Gallo
When recipes call for raw onions, remember to use the fresh, crisp taste of Goldies and forget about onion breath.
This tasty guacamole is super simple to whip up. And best of all, when you use Goldies, you can make it without tears.
Goldies are a breakthrough — a premium yellow onion unlike any other. They're full of everything you love about onions, minus everything you don't!
- All the fresh, crisp taste
- All the mildly sweet flavor
- All kinds of ways to enjoy — raw or cooked
- All the nutrition — packed with antioxidants and vitamins
- No tears when cutting and chopping
- No onion breath
- No bite or burn like other onions
- No smelly fingers
I was very skeptical. I was so surprised…I even ate some raw onion.
Customer names have been modified to protect privacy.