Creamy Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas with Pickled Onions
The mildly sweet taste of Goldies makes them just right for pickling — and for topping these creamy enchiladas.
For pickled onions
- 2 Goldies™ yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp whole peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp whole cumin seed (or 1/4 tsp ground cumin)
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano leaves
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 package (8 oz) light cream cheese, softened
- 1 can (4.5 oz) diced mild green chilies
- 4 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp mild chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Pinch of cayenne or a few dashes of hot sauce (optional)
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
- 8 taco-size (8-inches) flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1 can (15 oz) mild green chile enchilada sauce
- 2 cups thinly sliced romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup halved grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped cucumber
- Juice of 1/2 a lime
- Olive oil, to taste
1. For pickled onions, in bowl or jar, toss onions with vinegar, salt and spices. Let stand until ready to serve. (Onions may be made up to two days ahead; chill until ready to serve.)
2. For enchiladas, preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly coat 9×13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
3. In large bowl, mash cream cheese with green chilies, 2 tablespoons cilantro, lime juice, garlic, chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper and, if using, cayenne. Add chicken and stir to combine.
4. To assemble enchiladas, spread about 1/3 cup chicken mixture on tortilla and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon cheese. Roll tortilla to enclose. Repeat with remaining filling and tortillas.
5. Drizzle 3/4 cup enchilada sauce on bottom of prepared baking dish. Arrange enchiladas on sauce, seam side down, and drizzle remaining sauce on top of enchiladas; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
6. Cover dish with foil and bake 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake 10 to 15 minutes or until bubbly and cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes.
7. Meanwhile, toss romaine with tomatoes, cucumbers, lime juice and olive oil.
8. To serve, top enchiladas with salad and pickled onions.
More Tempting Onion Recipes
Bistro Burgers with Garlic Aioli, Oven-Caramelized Onions & Blue Cheese
How can you make bistro burgers even better? With Goldies — the perfect onions for caramelizing.
Buttermilk Onion Rings with Peach-Habanero Ketchup
Outstanding onion rings start with the right onion. Goldies set the gold standard for these crispy goodies.
Goldies are a breakthrough — a premium yellow onion unlike any other. They're full of everything you love about onions, minus everything you don't!
- All the fresh, crisp taste
- All the mildly sweet flavor
- All kinds of ways to enjoy — raw or cooked
- All the nutrition — packed with antioxidants and vitamins
- No tears when cutting and chopping
- No onion breath
- No bite or burn like other onions
- No smelly fingers
I would totally buy these. Not dreading the strong tears would even be worth paying a little more.
Customer names have been modified to protect privacy.