Get to know more about onions and how Goldies premium sweet yellow onions are changing perceptions.
Why do onions make you cry?
Goldies don't make you cry. Plain and simple.
But when you cut or chop a regular onion, it releases a chemical called lachrymatory factor (LF) that turns into a gas. Once the gas hits your eyes, it touches your sensory nerves, causing your eyes to tear up.
Goldies are grown to have a very low level of the enzyme that causes the reactions that produce LF. That's a very scientific way to say Goldies don't make you cry.
What are tearless onions?
Are tearless onions GMO?
How do you cut an onion without crying?
You could try these four different ways, but be warned, only the first one works well:
- Simply slice a Goldies onion and never worry about tears.
- Submerge an onion in water while chopping, or place it in the refrigerator or freezer before cutting. It will reduce the amount of gas being released, but it won't come close to eliminating it completely.
- Wear gas-tight goggles. (That sounds convenient!)
- Cut an onion next to a vent to pull the gas away from your eyes. You may not cry as much, but you will stink up your house.
How do you get rid of onion breath?
The best way is to avoid onion breath in the first place. Rather than give up onions entirely, just eat Goldies. They're delicious raw or cooked and won't give you onion breath no matter how you use them.
If you've ever tried to cover up smelly breath from regular onions, you know you're not fooling anyone, even yourself. But these are the methods that may help your futile efforts a little:
- Brush and floss your teeth after eating an onion
- Use a tongue scraper
- Use mouthwash
- Drink apple cider vinegar
- Chew minty gum
- Drink a cup of green tea
- Eat fresh fruits and vegetables like apples and spinach
How long do yellow onions last?
Once they have been cut or chopped, yellow onions generally last 7–10 days if you seal them in a container and refrigerate them. Whole onions last 2–3 months in the pantry or refrigerator and 6–8 months in the freezer.
What is the difference between long storage onions and short storage onions?
Long storage onions typically last at least 8 months after they are harvested, but some can last up to 12 months. Short storage onions don't last as long and can turn bitter over time. Luckily, Goldies sweet yellow onions are long storage onions and can be stored in the fridge for the best results. Avoid storing your onions in an area where they'll be exposed to light.
What are the health benefits of yellow onions?
There's a lot of nutrition packed into each yellow onion. They are full of antioxidants and nutrients like vitamin C.
Are yellow onions sweet?
Yellow onions are the most popular type of onion because they are slightly sweet when cooked. In addition, Goldies also have a mild, fresh, crisp taste.
What are the differences between yellow onions, sweet onions, red onions and white onions?
Goldies sweet yellow onions
- Versatile onion
- Mildly sweet taste
- No burn
- Delicious raw or cooked
- Caramelizes well
Generic yellow onions
- Balance of sweet and sharp flavor (becomes sweeter when cooked)
- Usually cooked (caramelized or roasted), not eaten raw
- Tough outer skin
Generic sweet onions
- Higher water content
- More sugar
- Sweeter taste, can be eaten raw
- More perishable
Generic Red onions
- Mild flavor
- Higher sugar content, so it's sweeter
- Dark purple outer skin and inner flesh
- Less tender than yellow onions
- Usually eaten raw, grilled or pickled
Generic white onions
- Usually eaten raw
- Thinner skin
- Usually not used for cooking
Tempting Onion Recipes
Try our tempting recipes to taste how Goldies sweet yellow onions are RICH WITH POSSIBILITIES.
French Onion Pasta Bake with Gremolata Bread Crumbs
This elegant dish will wow your guests because it's full of flavor. It also happens to be loaded with Goldies. Coincidence?
Classic French Onion Soup
Warm up with the best version of this classic you’ve ever tasted. That’s because it’s loaded with perfectly caramelized Goldies onions.
I love this onion! I can’t wait for it to get to market!
Customer names have been modified to protect privacy.